Doom 4 has been renamed to Doom, but don’t get confused because it is the fourth installment in Doom series.
At long last we have Doom at knocking furiously at our doorstep. I agree that it is still 9 months away from us as I write this. But at least we know that it is out there with gorgeous looking blood and gore action.
|Release Date||Q1 2016|
|Announce Date||May 7 2008|
|Engine||Id Tech 6|
|Availability||Optical disc, download|
Doom 4 was renamed to Doom when developers couldn’t decide whether it was a sequel to Doom 3 or prequel or what it actually was.
Bethesda has confirmed that it is definitely not a reboot of the series because Doom 3 was already brought up with that thought in mind.
Doom (4) doesn’t serve as a prequel as well because the story is somewhat in between of those two.
As much as we loved to play Doom on Earth, there is no denying that it looks equally awesome on the red planet too, Mars.
I will make a confession here that when I watched the trailer of Doom (4) at E3 2015, I nearly vomited due to disgust.
You might think that I am not praising Doom for what it brings us, but don’t get me wrong. True Doom fans will understand what I am talking about.
The visuals and details of those monsters and their ripped out hearts gave me a feeling of disgust and that’s exactly what I think Bethesda wanted to bring on the gaming table.
I have to say that the gameplay is awesome. It looks like Bethesda went back to the roots of Doom and brought out the best of it in Doom (4).
The gameplay is solid, varied and downright cruel, just the way we want it.
The 18-minutes gameplay at E3 2015, told us many things (yet we want more and more) and let me tell you some of them.
- The shotgun blows smithereens out of the demons (or whatever you like to call those animals from hell)
- The plasma gun boils down their blood within their bodies and kills them in approximately 5 seconds of continuous focus. But it is not fun because it is not loud and gory enough.
- The chainsaw cuts whatever body part they try to use to defend themselves.
- We can rip off limbs (arm in case of demo gameplay) to unlock doors with biometric locks.
- In the same manner, I think that we could rip off head to break security with eye recognition (still biometric) mechanism.
Graphics and Sound
I have already told you that watching the gameplay made my stomach turn, but I still kept watching it because it was so much fun. Imagine how it would feel to do it myself.
Graphics are top notch, no doubt about it. And since it is going to be released for next generation of consoles, we can rest assured that it will bring out the best that Id Tech 6 engine can offer.
I would go as far as to say that the graphics rival with Crysis 3 and The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt.
The sound design is superb and the way the shotgun feels when you cock it and shoot the monster and their blood splatters all around you with that satisfying sound that you made a difference, well, you know what I am talking about.
But, do I sound like a sociopath when I praise it like that? Well, that’s what Doom does to you!
Doom motto: Stay positive and shoot at first sight of those freaky monsters.
Doom (4) 2016 Trailer
Doom (4) 2016 Gameplay
Latest posts by K. K. Sonakiya (see all)
- Nvidia RTX 2070 Benchmarks, Price, Release Date and Review – “Value for Money on MSRP” - October 17, 2018
- Nvidia GTX 2060 Release Date – Everything You Need to Know about Next-Gen Budget Gaming Card - October 15, 2018
- Nvidia GTX 2000 Series Release Date, Specs, Features, Price, Performance – Everything You Need to Know - April 18, 2018